Help Over The phone

Find Information

Get Advice from a Lawyer

Help In Court…………………………..Will be Available Starting 2015









The Legal Coalition Legal Aid Bureau

Shafiq Nabeel Fund


Our country rightfully takes great pride that its courts are open equally to all. However, if you cannot afford a lawyer, the courthouse doors may as well be locked.

The Legal Aid Bureau provides legal services in relation to civil law matters to eligible persons. These legal services include legal advice and legal aid. To qualify for services you must satisfy the board of trustees who are managing the Bureau. You must also convince the Board that your case has merit.

Legal advice

Legal advice is any oral or written advice given by the Bureau in civil matters. It can include writing letters on your behalf and acting for you in negotiations with other persons.

Fortunately, The Legal Aid Bureau has been founded to ensure that free civil legal services are available to low-income persons.

Legal Aid provides one-off free legal advice to people about a range of legal issues.


  1. What is Legal Advice?

A lawyer will give you one-off free legal advice about your issue. You will also be informed whether you may be eligible for further assistance or a grant of Legal Aid for a lawyer to represent you in your case. Help may also be provided concerning simple documents if you do not have a lawyer.


The advice session is generally about fifteen to twenty minutes. This amount of time does not allow our lawyers to give you detailed legal advice about complex matters.

If Legal Aid is not able to help you, we may be able to give you information about where you can go for more help.


  1. Who Can Get Legal Advice?

Anyone with low-income can use our advice services.

However, there are some situations where we might not be able to give you legal advice. For example, if we have already given legal advice to the party you are in dispute with we may not be able to give you legal advice. Due to the fact that lawyers are not allowed to advise both parties to a dispute and we will have a ‘conflict of interest’. If this happens we will refer you to another legal service for help.

  1. What Can I Get Advice About?

We provide free and confidential face-to-face legal advice on most legal issues, including:

  • Civil law: We specialize in real estate related laws, credit, debt and mortgage matters, social security, calculating the workers compensations and reviewing employment contracts, providing advises on insurance agreements, lease agreement, bonds deeds, and Civil claims.
  • Family law: Issues arising from family breakdown (especially matters involving children), domestic violence and child support.

We do not provide advice in the following areas of law.

  • Criminal law
  • Business matters, including new business information, partnerships, contracts, leases and franchises (unless the problem is connected to an issue with a friend or family member such as divorce, a partner’s debt or being a guarantor for a loan)
  • Commercial investment matters.
  • Written employment contracts for new employment before entering into the contract. We might be able to provide legal advice about the employment contract once a client is in employment depending on how complex the contract is.
  • Local planning and development disputes.
  • Taxation matters.
  • While we can provide advice on wills, powers of attorney and guardianship appointments, we do not prepare these documents for you.
  • Workers compensation.
  • Intellectual property, trademarks or patents.
  • Strata title disputes if you have not yet tried mediation (unless your dispute is about strata title levy debts).
  • Neighborhood disputes if you have not yet tried mediation.
  • Legal advice about retirement village contracts before entering into a contract. However, we do provide legal advice once you are in a retirement village.
  • Disputes within not-for profit-organizations, or articles of association.


  1. Where Can I Get Legal Advice?

Our lawyers give free legal advice in our legal aid offices, located in 35, Salem Hindawi Street, Shimisani Area, Abdalli, Amman.

If you are under 18 years of age and need legal advice, concerning family Law Matter, or think you might be in trouble with the police you can call The Legal Aid on 00962 6 5666383


  1. Do I Have To Pay For Legal Advice?

Legal advice is free. You do not need to apply for a grant of legal aid to get legal advice and you do not have to meet any eligibility criteria to use the service.


However, if you get a grant of legal aid you will probably have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your matter. The amount you have to pay depends on your income, your assets and properties and the type of legal matter.


  1. Can I Get Advice Over The Phone or By E-mail?


  1. Can I Get an Interpreter or Help Communicating?

If you need an interpreter for your appointment with one of our lawyers, inform us when you make your appointment. We will arrange a free interpreter.


  1. What Do I Need To Do Before Seeing A Lawyer?

Bring any paperwork that is relevant to your legal problem, such as court papers and letters.

 Work out what you want help with to make the best use of your time with the lawyer. Writing down the main points of what has happened may be helpful.


  1. What If I Need More Help?

If you need more than legal advice, we may ask you to fill out an application form for a grant of legal aid so a lawyer can represent you in your case. We can help you filling out the form.


  1. I am a Foreigner. Can I get help?

Foreigners in Jordan can get help from the Legal Aid Bureau.


Apply For Legal Aid


If you need ongoing legal help from a lawyer, you will need to apply for a ‘grant of legal aid’ and fill out a Legal Aid application form. A grant of legal aid means that you have a lawyer employed by Legal Aid or a private lawyer paid for by Legal Aid representing you in your legal matter.

If possible, it is best to get legal advice before you apply for legal aid.


  1. How Do I Get A Grant?

You need to fill out a legal aid application form to get a grant of legal aid. The form requires information about your legal problem and your financial situation

 You will also need to give us:

  • Proof of your income, such as copies of your pay slips.
  • Last three months of your bank statements for all accounts
  • Other documentation depending on your legal matter


Once you have completed the form, sign and send it to:

The Legal Aid

35, Salem Hindawi Street,

Shimisani Area, Abdalli,

Amman, Jordan.


  1. Who Can Help Me Fill Out The Application Form?


  1. How Do I know If I Am Eligible for a Grant?

We have clear policies about who can get a grant of legal aid. We look at:

  • The reason you want legal assistance for.
  • Whether it is reasonable in all the circumstances to grant legal aid.

The Means Test examines:

  • What money you get from work.
  • If you own a car, home or anything else of value.
  • Whether you financially support anyone, or whether you are supported.

Use our Means Test Indicator to see if you are likely to pass the means test.


  1. Am I Eligible for Legal Aid if I Am Working?

You might be One of the policies concerning who can get a grant of legal aid, takes into consideration your income, your assets, and your assets (our Means Test).

 You can use our Means Test Indicator to check whether or not you may qualify under the means test.


  1. My Ex-Partner Has Got Legal Aid – Can I Still Get a Grant?

Your application will be treated separately from your ex-partner’s. If you meet our policies about who can get a grant, See Q3 above – How do I know if I am eligible for a grant? You will still be eligible for legal aid.

 Sometimes a Legal Aid lawyer cannot assist you because we are acting for another person in your dispute.


  1. What Can a Lawyer do for me if I Get a Grant?

A lawyer can:

  • Give you legal advice.
  • Help reach agreement for you.
  • Prepare legal documents.
  • Speak for you in court.


  1. If I Get a Grant, is it Free?

No, a grant of legal aid is not free. You will usually be asked to pay:

  • some money towards your legal costs at the start of your case
  • some or all of your legal costs at the end of your case


  1. Is There a Limit to the Amount I Can Get?

Yes, for some legal problems there are limits on the amount of the grant. This is called a cost ceiling. If you get a grant of legal assistance we will let you know what this limit is. You can also ask your lawyer.

 It is important to consider those limits. If your grant runs out and the case is not finished, you might have to finish your case without our assistance.You can inquire about the grant money that is left at any stage.


  1. How Does my Lawyer Get Paid?

We pay your lawyer directly. Your lawyer is not allowed to charge you whilst you have a grant of legal aid. However, you will have to pay your lawyer for any costs before you get a grant of legal aid or for any costs incurred if your grant is concluded or terminated.


  1. How Long Does it Take to Get a Grant?

Most applications for a grant of legal aid are processed within two weeks.


To help us process your application quickly, make sure you complete the checklist at the end of the legal aid application form before sending it in. You need to send us all the relevant paperwork such as copies of court documents and bank statements.

  1. What Are The Conditions of a Grant?

The standard conditions of a grant of legal aid are:

  • You will usually need to pay a contribution towards the cost of the legal services
  • You must immediately inform us if:
    • you change your address.
    • your financial details or other details change.
    • you become aware of information likely to affect your eligibility for legal aid.
    • you want to change your Lawyer. You cannot change your Lawyer without our approval.
    • there are any other changes that may affect your eligibility.
    • you authorize any lawyer who is acting for you, or who has acted for you, to give The Legal Aid all needed information.
  • Your lawyer is not allowed to get any money from you while you are getting legal aid.
  • If a court awards you costs, or another party agrees to pay costs to you, those costs are to be paid to The Legal Aid. Legal Aid may stop or change your grant of legal aid if you do not observe any of the conditions or follow the advice of your lawyer. If Legal Aid stops your grant you may have to pay all legal costs up to that time.
  • There may also be other special conditions that are explained in the letter you get from Legal Aid if you get a grant.


  1. Who Do I Contact to Find out Where my Grant is up to?

If you have applied for legal aid and want to track your application, you can contact the Grants Division on 0096265666383.


  1. Can I Appeal a Decision?

In most matters, if you do not agree with the decision, either because your request for legal aid was rejected or because you do not agree with the conditions, you can apply to have the decision reviewed by an independent committee called the Wise Men Committee.


  1. Who Can Help if I am not Eligible for a Grant?

Legal Aid provides free advice for many types of legal problems. Legal Aid will not assist if not eligible.


Help at Court

Will be Available Starting 2015


We have cooperative lawyers at all local courts and at many other courts, These ‘duty lawyers’ help people who have a matter at court that day who do not have their own lawyer. Duty lawyers either work for Legal Aid or are private lawyers paid by Legal Aid to help you.


Other types of help are also available at court. Women’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services assist women and children experiencing domestic violence at many local courts. Youth workers from the Children’s Court Assistance Scheme assist young people appearing in the Children’s Court.


  1. Who Can Use a Duty Lawyer?

Anyone can approach a duty lawyer for assistance at court. However, the duty lawyer can only give you limited help on the day of your matter. If your matter is more complicated, the duty lawyer may be able to help you get an adjournment (put off your matter to a later date) so that you have a chance to get legal advice or representation.


  1. What Can a Duty Lawyer do for me?

A duty lawyer may be able to

  • give you advice about your matter.
  • explain what might happen in court about your matter.
  • help you to get an adjournment (to put off your matter to a later date), so you have time to get legal advice.


There are limits on what the duty lawyers can do for you. For example, in a criminal matter they cannot represent you in court if you have pleaded ‘not guilty’ and your matter is listed for hearing that day. However, they would be able to help you negotiate an interim settlement.

 If you need help or seek to be represented in a hearing matter, you should speak to a lawyer from Legal Aid or a lawyer who does legal aid work, well before your hearing date.


  1. Do I Have to Pay?

No. meeting with duty lawyer is free. However, most people who receive a grant of aid will have to pay a contribution towards the cost of the matter. The amount you have to pay depends on your income and properties or assets.


  1. Do I Need to be Eligible for Legal Aid for a Duty Lawyer to Help?

You don’t need to be eligible for legal aid if the duty lawyer is only providing you with advice. However, if the duty lawyer is representing you in court you will generally need to be eligible for legal aid.


  1. Where Does Legal Aid have Duty Lawyers?

We have duty lawyers at all local courts.


  1. Can I Get an Interpreter or Other Communication Help?

Yes. Legal terms are sometimes hard to understand. If Arabic is not your first language, you may want to have an interpreter to help you at court. In many cases the court pays for the interpreter. Contact the court that you are attending to arrange an interpreter. If the court decides that an interpreter is required they may adjourn the matter to a later date.

 If you need an interpreter to see one of our lawyers before you go to court contact Legal Aid office and we will help to arrange this.


  1. How Should I Prepare for Court?

Before coming to court you should:

  • Collect and bring all paperwork you have about your matter.
  • Turn up to the court or tribunal, an hour before your matter.
  • Make sure you have the whole day free. Some courts list all matters at the same time so you may have to wait a few hours before the court hears your matter. You should check this with the court.
  • Inform the court if you need an interpreter or other assistance.
  • A friend or a family member may accompany you for support.


  1. What if I Need More Help?

The duty lawyer may not be able to finish your case on the day that you appear in court. If your matter is more complicated, the duty lawyer may be able to help you get an adjournment (put off your matter to a later date) so that you have a chance to get legal advice or representation.

 If you need more legal help, duty lawyers from Legal Aid may be able to assist you to apply for legal aid for a lawyer to run your case.


We may also be able to refer you to other services that can help.